Buying a used car can be an overwhelming experience. It’s an action you don’t take often and there’s so much to take into consideration. It’s an important decision and you want as much clarity as possible.
Questions will pop up during the buying process. While you’re in online research mode, you can Google something but that won’t always get you a straight answer. And if you’re already at a dealership making your deal, answers can become more difficult to find.
We’ve been selling cars for a while here at Exit5 Auto Group in Latham and we’ve answered a lot of customers’ questions.
Here’s a list of the 20 most important questions to ask when buying your next used car.
Used Vehicle Condition:
- How many miles are on the vehicle?
- Has it ever been repainted? (Look for answers to whether the car’s been in an accident or a flood)
- Do the essentials work?
- A/C and Heat
- Windshield wipers
- Rear defroster
- Tire tread
- If it’s a 4WD or All Wheel Drive, does it work properly?
- Does the car have a working spare tire and jack?
- How many keys and remotes are included with car (especially if there are locking wheels)?
Used Vehicle History and Safety:
- Can I see the CarFax?
- Who was the car purchased from?
- Does the car have a clean title?
- Did the vehicle pass safety and emissions tests?
- Have the brakes been tested safe?
Used Vehicle Pricing and Negotiating:
- What’s the dealership’s return policy
- Are there any dealer doc fees or other fees not included in the price?
- Does the vehicle come with a Warranty?
- How long will it take me to purchase the vehicle?
- What do I need in order to test drive the car?
Used Vehicle Financing:
- What is the precise (down to the penny) price I’m paying for the vehicle?
- What is the interest rate I’m paying?
- What is the total amount I’m financing?
- What’s the dollar amount I’m paying for the credit (finance charge)?
- What’s the exact amount of each payment and total number of payments?